Monday, October 3, 2016

Recommended Reading for Witches

When people ask me for good suggestions on Craft books, they are usually surprised that I recommend only a few books on Witchcraft, Wicca or magic. I usually recommend reading the Classics. 
Great literature feeds the mind and soul; it feeds us nutritious food, rather than junk food. Great literature often takes work to comprehend, but it is work that gives compounded rewards, especially to practitioners of magic. 
Witches rely on imagination as one of their primary magical tools, but imagination is only as good as the ideas that can be called upon at will when it is used. When we constantly feed our minds high quality thoughts, we can use those thoughts to manifest high quality results. But if we only feed our minds trite, silly and weak thoughts, we have only those qualities at our disposal.
When I make a batch of cookies, I know that if I use the finest fresh butter I can find, that they will taste much different than if I use a vegetable shortening or a margarine. No matter how skillful I may be as a baker, my end product can only be as good as the ingredients I use.
Likewise, regardless of the skill a witch possesses as a practitioner of magic, her results will only be as good as the ingredients that she uses in it. In magic, the most important of those ingredients are our thought images.
What do you read? What kind of music do you listen to? What kinds of art do you look at? What kinds of television and movies do you watch? All of these things are the ingredients you are stocking in your witch's larder. If you want great results, I suggest you start stocking up on great ingredients.
Literature is most commonly thought of being in the past, as something that one "read in school." Rarely is literature viewed as something that is necessary to read on an ongoing basis. Literature is food for every mind; but for practitioners of magic, good literature is as vital as oxygen.
I recommend you commit to reading one piece of great literature each month. It can be anything from Hemingway to Plato. Just find one piece that you want to commit to understanding. Get a good study guide like a Spark Notes, or a Cliffs Notes guide, and get through that book with at least some understanding. 
For witches, the process of devouring great literature is a part of our ongoing magical initiation. What kind of witch do you want to be? What kinds of results do you want to have? If you are serious about your magic, it's time to get serious about reading good books.
Am I saying you should ONLY read the classics? Of course not. You should enjoy each and every book, film, work of art, piece of music or television show that you like. What I am suggesting, is that if you start to simply add a bit of classic literature into your daily life that you will absolutely see a tremendous improvement in your magic over time. Of that I am absolutely certain.
Come to my website for lectures, classes, meditations and magic!

1 comment:

  1. This is great advice from Ariel..so I joini g up the dots slowly..classical music.i think pretty good if you can take it I like it..cheers ..fiona

    ReplyDelete